Translator

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Friday 1 May 2015

Interview with Lekside : The latest music Prodigy

The rap scene in Nigeria is heating up and I am ecstatic to be the one to bring the freshest upcoming artistes to your doorstep. A few weeks ago, I did a special interview with one of the best upcoming artistes springing up from my school – Babcock University. I got a lot of awesome feedback on twitter concerning the interview, so I said hey, why not do another special and invite another hot young artiste who is currently working on some killer tracks and a viral video. The name of this dude is Ayoola Adeleke with his moniker as Lekside. Get to know him better in this exclusive interview with this fast – rising music prodigy.

Can we get to know you better?
My name is Ayoola Adeleke Joseph Hakeem, my stage name is Lekside. Um, I’m a person that doesn't focus on one thing. I’m also a very imaginative and humble person.
Any throwback memories of music?
Yeah, back then in high school, it all started as a joke with my first group called R-Rated. We used to sing and rap about things like teachers, schoolwork and stuff like that. I started off as a rapper with my group members Lotado, KidOsmo, MoGunna, and Sogbade. Things got interesting, and later I decided to hit the studio and that’s how I started.
So you rap?
Yes I do. My next track titled See Me ft. Laime sort of sounds like something a singer would do, but I actually rapped in it. It’s in my Trap-house EP coming up soon.
When did music in general start for you?
It started with R-Rated. Like I said, we made music about housemasters, teachers, girls and stuff like that. I decided on my own to record, and one day the producer had problems with the chorus of a song we were working on at the time, so he told us all to try singing. I tried it, and it turned out good, so I said to myself “why can’t I continue with this?”, and since then, my love affair with music began.
Your surname is Adeleke, is there any family ties with David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, If so, has it helped you in any way?
David is a  cousin of mine, but being related to him hasn’t helped me yet, I mean, I’d like to hustle my way in on my own like he did, and you know it’s not always right to mix family with business. That’s why I haven’t met him for assistance yet.
Is there anyone you look up to in the Nigerian Music scene?
Right now, I’ll mention four people – Jesse Jagz, Asa, Tuface, Davido and Wizkid. My main focus though is to be like Jesse Jagz. He’s a really good lyricist.
Is there any one you look up to in the foreign music scene?
Drizzy Drake.
We got exclusive gist that you’re working on something with Laime, can you give us an insider on what’s going on?
Yeah, the name of the track is “See me”. It’s Track 3 on my Traphouse EP. I hope y’all like it.
What is your highest achievement so far?
When I was still trying to move forward, I got a few of my songs on Unilag F.M and other radio stations, I got booked for 2 or 3 shows and things like that.
Any low moments?
Yeah, like every day, having to handle critics and those who don’t like seeing others move forward.
“Strange cloud activities” , the name of your mixtape isn’t the kind of name the average Nigerian artiste gives his music, it seems pretty unique, can you explain how you came up with that name?
A cloud for me has to do with the euphoria I experience with my crew, and to explain the strange things that go on daily, because many things seem strange to me.
How has mixing school and music been working out?
It really doesn’t, that’s why I stopped music for a while, but since I’ve reached a stage of maturity where I can handle both responsibilities at once, I  can do both. I mean, getting a degree isn’t always certified to help you make a living these days, so I have my music to fall back on.
Has being a student of Babcock University helped your music in any way?
Yeah, because I met with many people like Beats by Jay, BOND, shout out to BOND, I met with Pap Jones, Lotado, and my wonderful roommates who tell me the truth about my work, even if it’d hurt me. I’ve improved musically under the Babcock environment.
What do you think is going to keep you afloat in this ever-changing entertainment scene, because as seen in some cases, talent isn’t always the only prerequisite for success?
Other than talent, there’s hard work, take a look at people like Davido and Wizkid. These people worked hard to get to the point they’ve reached. There’s no time to chase time as one of my housemaster’s said. I mean time should be chasing you instead of you changing it. Hard work combined with the fact that I tend to be a trendsetter like Wizkid and Davido would be my assets.
What is your viral video about and who is directing it?
That is for me and my personal savior to know. When I’m dropping it, I guarantee you that you’d find out. It’s gonna be big.
Your work seems pretty good, where do you see yourself in a few years?
I’ll work hard to blow, but that is all down to my personal lord and savior- Jesus. He’s gonna help me through it all.
Before the interview is over, what do you have to tell your fans and prospective fans to watch out for?
Expect new things and big things from me, I won’t disappoint. God bless y’all.
Social Media
Twitter: @LEKSIDE_III Instagram:@lekside_iii BBM: 7F5FE2CE
Where to get your songs: Soundcloud (Ayoola Adeleke/ Lekside)

Organized by Boluwatife Omoworare (Twenty Two) and carried out by Jojolola Dopamu (The Jojo Blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment